What is an Appropriate Body?
Every new Early Career Teacher (previously Newly Qualified Teachers) needs to follow a Statutory Induction process. This is overseen by an Appropriate Body, which makes the final decision about whether the ECT has met the Teachers’ Standards.
What is happening to Appropriate Bodies?
Pre-2021 there were a large number of Appropriate Bodies across England. However, with the introduction of the Early Career Framework (the new 2-year, professional development programme for new teachers), the responsibility has moved to the Teaching School Hubs.
Who is part of the South Yorkshire Teaching Hub Appropriate Body?
We have set up our Appropriate Body in a way that makes the most of the collective expertise in our region. This means that we work with partners who previously delivered AB services themselves – ensuring that their professional knowledge and experience isn’t lost and can benefit new teachers. It also provides additional capacity and a smoother process for schools who have ECTs.
Our school partners
Our school partners include: Mercia Learning Trust; Rotherham local authority; Notre Dame; and Silverdale School with Sheffield Teaching School Alliance.
How does the Early Career Framework (ECF) fit with the Appropriate Body?
The Appropriate Body is separate and independent of the Early Career Framework. The monitoring and assessment carried out by the Appropriate Body will be carefully sequenced to reflect the modules covered in the ECF, while ensuring that all the relevant teacher standards are met.
You can read more on our Early Career Support page about the professional development programme we offer for Early Career Teachers in conjunction with the Education Development Trust (EDT).
Why choose us as your school’s Appropriate Body?
A strong track record of experience
As well as bringing together all the expertise from our school partners, our previous incarnation, the Sheffield Teaching School Alliance at Silverdale School (an Ofsted-rated ‘Outstanding’ secondary in Sheffield), has a track record of excellent ITT Training & AB Services stretching back over 10 years.
Benefits of our service:
- We provide advice and guidance on the induction of ECTs.
- We make decisions on the outcome of the statutory induction for the ECT.
- We provide all documents for guidance, monitoring, supporting and recording of outcomes.
- Named point of contact within the Teaching School Hub for all AB and ECF needs.
- Registration and monitoring of progress of the ECT, including reporting to the Teacher Regulation Agency (TRA).
- We manage the whole process via a user-friendly, online system ‘ECT Manager’ which simplifies the paperwork and guides you at every stage.
- We provide timely, effective communication with ECT updates about both the AB and ECF programme.
- We provide advice where ECTs are at risk of failure and advise on appropriate support packages for the ECT.
- Quality assurance of assessment forms, against the Teachers’ Standards.
- ECT welcome event.
- Induction Tutor training – role and responsibilities, intervention and Cause For Concern process, report writing, etc.
- Opportunities to build networks.
- Regular newsletters.
- Access to regular sessions for ECTs to support health and wellbeing.
How much does it cost?
- AB services and Full Induction Programme is £250 per ECT per year.
- AB services and Core or School-led Induction Programme is £300 per ECT per year.
- AB services for ‘pre-September 2021 cohort’ is £70 per NQT per term
How to register your Early Career Teachers for September
All schools will need to register their Early Career Teachers with the Hub and will be able to request to work with a specific partner if they wish to do so.
To register your ECTs easily and quickly with our Hub’s Appropriate Body, please click here to access our sign-up page.
Instructions, along with the Q&A from our July events, can be found in our guidance document here.
If you want to read more detail about Appropriate Body reforms and the ECT please view our presentation from our briefing event, which is taken from one of our online events.
You can also check out our Eventbrite page here for any upcoming briefing events.
If you want to talk to someone about Appropriate Body services please contact:
- South Yorkshire Teaching Hub: email@example.com
Or one of our cluster leads listed below:
- Mercia Learning Trust (Helen Boddie): Hboddie@ecgbert.sheffield.sch.uk
- Rotherham local authority (Fiona Radford): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Notre Dame (Alastair Gittner): email@example.com
- Silverdale / Sheffield Teaching School Alliance (Louise Allsop): firstname.lastname@example.org