Science Technician (Biology)
Required from 1st September 2022, Minerva Learning Trust are seeking to appoint a hard-working and highly organised individual to undertake the important role of Science Technician at High Storrs School. Main responsibilities of the role will be to:
- Organise the preparation of chemicals, materials and equipment required for science lessons.
- Assist in keeping an inventory of chemical stocks.
- Check science and technical equipment for condition and safety.
- Attend courses on health and safety issues as well as other related topics
- Ensure compliance with COSHH regulations and be familiar with technician specific risk assessments.
- Maintain laboratories and equipment to ensure a safe, clean and orderly environment
- Carry out repairs or specific maintenance of equipment when necessary
- Be responsible for the construction and repair of equipment
- Advise teachers on safety matters or potential problems with equipment
- Assist Chemistry and Physics Technicians in maintaining an inventory of materials and equipment and associated stock taking duties
- Place orders and check deliveries of equipment and chemicals and ensure safe and appropriate storage of same.
- Dispose of chemical and biological waste safely in accordance with health and safety regulations and hazards ensuring minimum risk to self, others and environment.
- Be involved in the cleaning of scientific equipment using specialist cleaning methods and materials as necessary.
- Prepare accurate solutions using calculations and formulae under the supervision of the Chemistry Technician.
- Oversee duplicating and replenishment of photocopy stocks, organise and maintain filing system.
- Assist Chemistry and Physics Technicians in provision of revision materials for pupils.
- Work to tight deadlines within specific parameters.
- Be aware of working in a potentially hazardous environment and minimize risk to self, others and environment.
- Provide and maintain a safe working environment for users (staff and pupils).
- Liaise with Premises Staff to organise repairs to Laboratories and mains services.
- Obtain, grow and maintain plants and animals used in experiments.
- Transport materials and equipment to laboratories in various locations which will involve some heavy lifting
Closing date for applications is Thursday 12th May, at midday!
For more information on the role, and how to apply, click here to visit the Minerva Learning Trust website