If you enjoy supervising children and would like to work in a school, this could be the job for you.
In this job you would need patience. You would also need to be able to stay calm in an emergency.
To get into this job, any experience you have in first aid or working with children could give you an advantage. You would need clearance from the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly the Criminal Records Bureau).
As a school lunchtime supervisor, your tasks during the meal would include:
- helping children who are in difficulties, for example with cutting up food
- encouraging good table manners
- making sure behaviour does not become too boisterous
After the meal you would:
- lead and organise playground games
- supervise children in the playground (or in the hall or classroom in wet weather)
- stop any dangerous behaviour
- deal with any quarrels or fights
- comfort children who are upset
- deal with minor injuries such as cuts, grazes and bruises
You would normally work between 11.45 a.m. and 1.15 p.m., Monday to Friday, in term time only.
Your job would involve a lot of standing and walking, both inside the school and outdoors in the playground, often in cold weather.
Closing date for applications is 21st July 2021.
For more information visit the Sheffield City Council website.