Teaching is an amazing profession but there will be challenges, particularly in your first few years. However, there is a wealth of support within your school and within the area to help you.
The Early Careers Framework
The ECF sets out what all Early Career Teachers (ECTs) should know and develop, during the first two years of their careers. The framework includes sections on:
- Behaviour Management
- Professional Behaviours
The new Framework provides you with:
- Two years of funded high-quality training.
- A range of development materials based on the Early Career Framework & its priorities.
- Additional funding for 5% time away from the classroom for teachers in their second year to develop their ‘craft’.
- A dedicated mentor for two years
- Ongoing support for your Mentor to develop their practice and the support they offer.
- Funding to cover your mentors’ time with you in your second year of teaching.
All schools will be required to deliver the ECF programme. They can:
- Use a funded provider-led programme (FIP). The South Yorkshire Teaching Hub deliver this in partnership with our provider, The Education Development Trust (EDT)
- Draw on the content of the high-quality DfE accredited professional development core materials and resources to deliver their own ECT and mentor programmes. (CIP)
- Design and deliver their own school ECF-based induction programme based on the ECF (SIP).
Your school will register you for their chosen programme and we are here, to offer advice and support. If you have any questions, please contact us and we will be happy to help.
Appropriate Body Service
As an ECT, you will also be registered with an Appropriate Body. The South Yorkshire Teaching hub is the AB for this area. This means we will:
- Check that you have received your statutory entitlement in line with the statutory guidance.
- Make the final decision as to whether you have satisfactorily met the teacher standards based on your headteachers recommendation.
Develop your craft in your first two years
The ECF allows you the opportunity to develop your craft, so use the time to:
- Develop your subject knowledge and pedagogy.
- Build relationships with students and colleagues.
- Take advantage of opportunities to see colleagues teach and develop your craft.
- Access any CPD or support opportunities available.
- Become a part of the school community.
- Get involved in the extra curricular life of the school.
- Become the best teacher you can be.
Your personal and professional support network is essential and you will find the support colleagues and mentors give invaluable. Taking advantage of opportunities to work with others, share ideas and experiences and most importantly, ask for help when you need it will be invaluable.
Keep a check on our community pages for opportunities to meet colleagues from across the region for courses, training and wellbeing sessions, all of which, are available to support you and help you develop your network.
Support staff vacancies
Teaching Assistant Level 1
Salary: Grade 3 £19,650 - £20,043 (pro-rata)More info
Salary: Grade 1 - £18,328 ( Actual part time salary £7,881 )More info
Senior Teaching Assistant Level 3
Salary: Grade 5 - £23,953 to £26,446 (pro rata)More info
Behaviour/Pastoral Team Member
Salary: Grade 5 - £23953 to £26446 (pro rata)More info
Cover Supervisor (x3)
Salary: NJC Grade 4, Scale Point 07: £20,444 to 12: £22,571 gross per annum pro rataMore info
Salary: Grade 1, Point 01-02, £18,333-£18,516 pro rataMore info
Higher Level Teaching Assistant
Salary: Grade 5, Scale Point 15-20, £23,953-£26,446 (pro rata 39 weeks)More info
Salary: Scale Point 4 (£10.99 per hour currently)More info
Salary: Grade 5 / Scale point 15 – 20 (£23,541 - £25,991)More info
Salary: Grade 1 – £18,333 - £18,516 Actual Part Time Salary £3,135More info
Salary: £10 - £13 per hourMore info
Level 2 Teaching Assistant
Salary: £19,650 - £20,043 pro rataMore info
Salary: Grade 6 SCP 21-26 £26511 - £ 30451 (pro-rata)More info
Salary: Grade 4 (Point 7–12) £20,444 – £22,571 Actual Part Time Salary: £13,812 - £15,249More info
Teaching staff vacancies
The South Yorkshire Teaching Hub officially launches
You have made it to the South Yorkshire Teaching Hub, and we have made it to the official launch of our website!Read more...
A brief introduction to our school-led routes into teacher training
School-led routes into teacher training are a huge part of the South Yorkshire Teaching Hub. They offer a diverse range of courses with partner schools in and around Sheffield, Rotherham,…Read more...
Positives from remote learning
345 days. Three hundred and forty-five days since the first lockdown in the UK. As we prepare to welcome children back to our schools, we are reflecting on the positives…Read more...
Life as a trainee teacher during COVID-19
As part of our new effort to celebrate local success, we interviewed a trainee teacher who has just accepted the job of her dreams! We wanted to hear about what…Read more...
Early Career Framework – Are you ready?
There are yet more acronyms being introduced to the world of education. You may have heard the latest letters floating around your school, so today we’re going to explain what…Read more...
Thinking of becoming a teacher? Here’s why you should!
The thought of becoming a teacher passes through the minds of many people at many different stages of life. Some are fortunate enough to know exactly what they want to…Read more...
Love languages? Meet the NML SCITT!
The National Modern Languages School Centered Initial Teacher Training, also referred to as the NML SCITT, provides a unique and exciting way to learn how to teach modern languages. They…Read more...
School of the Month: Malin Bridge Primary School
We’re so proud of the fantastic schools we have in South Yorkshire that we want to commit to celebrating a different school each month. These schools will be labeled as…Read more...
Training to become a teacher with Learning Unlimited
During the last 12 months the country has seen a considerable amount of people applying to become a teacher. Many of these applications have come from people who have had…Read more...
Top quality trainee teacher from Teach North
This week we’re celebrating one of Teach North’s trainee teachers who has bagged herself her first official teaching job! We’re thrilled to introduce you to Caitlin Whitmore. Caitlin studied Psychology…Read more...